Severe Weather Closings and Cancellations for Wednesday, March 17th
Forecasts predict widespread severe storms across most of Alabama Wednesday. Threats include violent, long-track tornadoes and damaging winds in excess of 80 miles an hour.
Tuscaloosa City and County Schools are closed for Spring Break this week; however, many other institutions remain on a regular schedule.
Below is a list of closings and cancellations for Wednesday, March 17th:
- University of Alabama: classes suspended beginning at 11 a.m. today; normal operations to resume at 5 a.m. Thursday, and storm shelters will open at 10 a.m.
- Bessemer City Schools: CLOSED
- Bibb County Schools: Dismissing THREE HOURS EARLY
- Shelton State Community College: CLOSED
- Pickens County Schools: VIRTUAL
- Marion County Schools: Closing at 11:30 a.m.
- Marengo County Schools: Classes dismiss at 12 p.m.
- Fayette County Schools: Closing at 11 a.m.
- Fayette Christian Academy: Closing at 12 p.m.
- Walker County Schools: Dismissing at 11:30 a.m.
Businesses closing today:
- Mercedes-Benz U.S. International: canceled second shift
- Tuscaloosa Public Library: branches closing at 11 a.m.
- Select ALEA Driver License Offices closing at 12 p.m. (see the list HERE)
- City of Tuscaloosa: suspending garbage collection/recycling Wednesday and transitioning to storm prep
- Alabama One Credit Union: Closing Tuscaloosa-area branches at 1 p.m.; Fayette and Pickens branches closing at 12 p.m.
- Druid City Brewing Company: closed
Townsquare Media Tuscaloosa's Operation Storm Watch is brought to you by Safe-T Shelter. Visit their website here to see their selection of residential and commercial safe rooms and storm shelters. To contact a Safe-T Shelter representative, click here to visit their Facebook page.
Check out the latest radar models here:
If a tornado warning is issued in our area, Townsquare Media Tuscaloosa Operation Storm Watch will provide you with live and local team coverage, including wall-to-wall weather with James Spann.
To view the latest weather updates and information, click here.